Internationally Educated Midwives

Coming to Canada

Please visit for more information

Canadian Healthcare

Canadians have access to publicly funded comprehensive health care services via ten provincial and three territorial insurance plans that are collectively referred to as
"Medicare."  In addition, Health Canada provides services directly to specific groups (e.g. First Nations, Inuit).

The Canada Health Act provides a framework for healthcare delivery. Its main goal is to "to protect, promote and restore the physical and mental well-being of residents of Canada and to facilitate reasonable access to health services without financial or other barriers."

Health professions, including midwifery, are regulated by authorities in each province and territory, not federally. Health professionals are registered in the province or territory in which they work. Inter-provincial mobility agreements help to ensure that health professionals can move to another Canadian province or territory and continue to work in their profession. Registered midwives moving from one province to another apply under the Canadian Free Trade Agreement

Under provincial and territorial law, most health professions in Canada are "self-regulating". Self-regulatory authorities called "Colleges" or "Orders" are governed by members of the profession and appointed public members. In some cases, usually when there are small numbers of professionals, professions are regulated by a branch of government. The mandate of all regulatory authorities is to protect the public through setting minimum education and competency requirements, assessing applicants for registration, monitoring and enforcing standards of practice and safe care, and setting guidelines and requirements for continuing competency.

Each member of the Canadian Midwifery Regulators Council is the regulatory authority for midwifery for their province or territory.

Associations of health professionals exist to represent and serve the interests of professional members. These are not-for-profit organizations usually funded through member fees. They often negotiate with governments for funding agreements, offer professional liability insurance, and provide continuing education opportunities and up-to-date professional information. In Canada, professional midwifery associations exist in both regulated and not-yet-regulated provinces and territories. The Canadian Association of Midwives is the national organization representing midwives and the profession of midwifery – its website provides contact information for its provincial and territorial member associations.

Canadian Model of Midwifery

There are some key differences in the way that midwifery is practised in Canada versus the way it is practised in many other parts of the world.

Please review this chart for provincial information on midwifery in Canada.

Assessment and Bridging Programs

The following provinces offer midwifery assessment and bridging programs at this time.


The International Midwifery Pre-Registration Program (IMPP) is offered by Ryerson University's G. Raymond Chan School of Continuing Education. The IMPP is a 9 month part-time program offered in Toronto, Ontario to internationally-educated midwives who have practised in the last five years and are fluent in English. It provides assessment, information about practising in Ontario, limited knowledge and skills enhancement for the Ontario practice environment, clinical placements, and mentoring.

More information is available at

Ryerson University Continuing Education also offers a course entitled Professional English for Nurses and Midwives which focuses on enabling students to develop the level of professional language proficiency needed to work in Canada


Contact Raymonde Gagnon - Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières - Sage-femme
Directrice de programme baccalaureat en pratique sage-femme
Téléphone: 819 376-5011;4067

British Columbia

The 9-month Internationally Educated Midwifery Bridging Program is designed to bridge midwives who have received their education outside Canada and will offer 8 seats per year commencing January 2016 at the University of British Columbia.

More information is available at


Internationally Educated Midwives must complete an assessment and gap training in order to practice in Manitoba.

The College of Midwives of Manitoba offers the written assessments two to three time a year in Winnipeg, and refers successful candidates to the International Midwifery Pre-Registration Program (IMPP) at Ryerson University in Toronto to complete the in-person assessment and gap training. The Clerkship portion of gap training may take place at a midwifery practice in Ontario or Manitoba. 

More information is available at